Friday, 11 January 2013

Sewing projects #1

Made these at the end of 2012. They are all just adaptations, but great practice sewing. I used my new machine, and it works really well.

I didn't take any before pictures of most of them, unfortunately.

Adaptations:

Skirt- this was a dress, the top part didn't fit, but I loved the tulle skirt. So I cut it in half, and rehemmed the waist. I hand sewed a couple of snap-buttons in to close it.


Waistcoat- this waistcoat had short sleeves, but they were uncomfortably tight. I trimmed them off, turned the leftover material under, zigzag stitched the edges, then sewed them under. I then sewed some leftover trim from the dress around the sleeve edges, and sewed a charm I had to the front.




You might have seen it in this post the other day. 


Jabot- this was the top of a lacy singlet top. I cut off the lacy bit and the singlet sleeves in a circular shape, trimmed it to size for my neck. I machined the edges under and hand sewed snap buttons on.





9 comments:

  1. Pretty :)
    I especially like the waistcoat it's a really nice shape :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lace collar is so clever! I might do that with a similar top I have that doesn't quite fit right. I really really like your grey skirt. Where did you get that, might I ask?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it at a market stall when I went to see The Tempest Steampunk'd, the brand is Von Troska, if that helps.

      Delete
  3. I love these alterations, specially the lace jabot! That's a brilliant bit of up-cycling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I adore the waistcoat, I LOVE waistcoats in general :) But this one is absolutely special <3 And the jabot, You actually did something I have been planning for a very long time, but didn't know how to make it :) It's such a nice accessory and looks good with so many tops...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see pictures if you make the jabot! :)

      Delete
  5. I love the jabot..forgot it was called that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I *love* the jabot, but the waistcoat is very pretty, too. You're really good at sewing!

    ReplyDelete